Wood strengthens sustainability commitments
View all news from:
View directory entry for: Wood.
30 March 2021
Wood, the global consulting and engineering company, today announces its pledge to advance global sustainable development by committing to a decade of action through wide-ranging new goals that will help to improve lives, reduce impact on the planet and sustain growth.
Encompassing environmental responsibility, diversity and inclusion, business ethics, improving local communities, urbanisation and growing populations, the nine new commitments support the vision set out through the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
Recognise, welcome and celebrate diversity in thought, experience and background to find the boldest solutions and nurture talent:
- Improve gender balance with 40% female representation in senior leadership roles by 2030
- Educate and inspire 100% of our people to be inclusive every day by 2021
Take responsibility for the impact of the work we do and how we deliver it on the planet we share:
- Reduce Wood’s carbon emissions by 40% by 2030 on our pledge to ‘net zero’
- Ensure all Wood offices are single use plastic free by 2025
Work fairly, transparently and ethically through the trusted partnerships we create:
- Ensure 100% of Wood labour suppliers sign up and comply with the Building Responsibly Principles by 2025
- Ensure 100% of Wood suppliers have the Building Responsibly Principles embedded into their supply chains by 2030
Trusted to solve the challenges of our changing climate and developing populations:
- Consistently rank in the Top Quartile ESG investment ratings within our peer group by 2025
- Double client support aligned to the energy transition and more sustainable infrastructure by 2030
Lift up the communities around us using our energy and expertise to improve lives:
- Give our time, resources and funding to contribute $10 million to our global causes by 2030.
Robin Watson, Wood’s Chief Executive, comments: "As a business, we recognise the challenge in delivering a more sustainable future. That’s why our sustainability goals will work to address climate change on our journey to ‘net zero’ by 2050 or sooner, develop the diversity and talent of our people and actively improve workers’ rights across our global footprint. By building partnerships with key stakeholders including clients, investors, government, suppliers and communities, we can unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges.”
To further strengthen the company’s commitment to environmental, social and corporate governance, Linzie Forrester has been appointed to the new role of President of Sustainability. An environmental scientist by background, Linzie has over 30 years’ experience and has led the development and implementation of world-class sustainability programmes, including securing sector leader status in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
Linzie will drive Wood’s sustainability strategy ensuring outcomes align with the UN SDGs, position and engage with stakeholders on a range of issues, and drive forward compliance and reporting on emissions and other key targets.
She comments: "Reducing our impact on the planet, improving people’s lives and sustaining profitable growth are all integral to our success as a business. By taking steps to make positive change, we are launching a decade of action that signals our commitment to ensuring sustainability becomes inherent to how we work, what we do and who we are.
"At Wood, we have the answers to global sustainability at our fingertips and I look forward to unleashing our combined power to meet these challenges head on.”