Precision Blast Systems launches new abrasive blast cleaning systems
30 July 2021
The latest method of underwater cleaning and surface preparation has been launched by Precision Blast Systems Ltd.
The new subsea blasting systems are designed for abrasive blast cleaning at depths of up to 200 metres. Precise control of the system allows for cleaning of marine growth or complete paint removal and surface preparation to SA2.5.
Ian Simmonds, Director at Precision Blast Systems, said: "Subsea abrasive blasting has considerable advantages over current HP water jetting methods. There's no noise, so it makes communication with the diver possible while at work. There's no need for retro jets, because of the low pressures when compared to high pressure water systems. And the low pressure is safer for the diver at around 2 - 6 Bar."
Other benefits include:
· Light to use and easy to handle nozzle. Can be used with one hand.
· Works up to twice as fast as HP water systems, more productivity per dive time
· Simple control of pressure and abrasive allow various surface finishes, from removing
· Marine growth down to bare metal finish
· Perfect matt, non-reflective finish for remote observation and underwater photographic records.
· Can achieve an SA2½ finish for e.g. repainting.
These systems have many maintenance applications with subsea pipelines, port infrastructure, offshore installations, and vessel hull repairs.
Blast cleaning diver at work