Business Development Manager
Global Underwater HubBUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
GLOBAL UNDERWATER HUB
The Global Underwater Hub (GUH) is a new strategically focused, intelligence-led organisation that aims to transform the UK’s underwater sector into one of the largest and fastest growing industries in the country. Key targets for the GUH organisation include accelerating the transition to net-zero, driving innovation and growth and making a step-change in the development and internationalisation of technology and services across the UK underwater sector.
Led and governed by industry, the GUH will represent, promote and support all sectors of the underwater industry by providing companies with the market information, connections and access to specialist expertise that they need to grow.
The GUH will achieve this by:
- Facilitating multidisciplinary collaborations between companies, sectors, government, industry bodies, institutions and academia
- Promoting cross-fertilisation of innovative underwater solutions which will help the shift to low carbon and deliver outputs which are greater than the sum of their parts
- Better connecting the different bodies, institutions and companies with the market opportunities to deliver the underwater solutions of the future
To support this exciting new organisation in its development and growth, there is an immediate requirement for a Business Development Manager to join the GUH. This role will be instrumental in the development and growth of the GUH. Accountable to the Operations Director, this is a unique opportunity to join a newly established organisation where you can help shape the role and contribute to enhancing and growing Subsea UK’s already strong reputation and membership levels in the Subsea O&G marketplace by developing and growing membership levels within the wider underwater sector and "blue economy”.
OBJECTIVES / SCOPE
The Business Development Manager’s primary responsibility is for securing new service users (members and partners) from across the respective sub-sectors, and for securing partnership agreements with complimentary service providers. These activities will be particularly important in the early stages of the new GUH organisation as new partners and new service users need to be attracted from across the UK and across multiple sectors, namely renewables, defence, aquaculture and maritime industries.
In addition, the role has responsibility for supporting the maintenance of strong relationships with existing members and partners and ensuring long term mutually beneficial partnerships are maintained with these member organisations.
The role will be Aberdeen based and will also have responsibility for delivering all required business development activities supporting the new regional office locations which will be established in the North and South of England. The BD Manager will work with the local management and teams in these locations to deliver on the organisations regional business development objectives. As such regular travel to these locations will be an essential requirement of the role.
Other key role responsibilities include supporting, developing and managing a range of internal and external activities such as leading on new and existing member engagement activities, supporting the delivery of events, supporting communications activities and initiatives and utilising and providing market insight gleaned from member organisations and specialist sector and project activity.
This is a key role that is central to meeting GUH operational performance, growth and financial targets.
- Secure new service users (members and partners) from across the respective "blue economy” sub-sectors, and also secure appropriate partnership agreements with complimentary service providers.
- Identify and pursue new Business Development opportunities wherever possible
- Manage the day-to-day relationships with existing member companies and representatives maintaining good open communications with all members and building on existing relationships
- Promote the value proposition of membership and play a leading role in new business development, membership recruitment and retention.
- Manage and drive membership renewals and ensure full and proper maintenance of membership records and internal membership databases are managed via departmental administrative support resources including management and ownership of ACT (the Company CRM system).
- Ensure that needs and expectations of the membership are fully understood, and any required customisation or adjustment to GUH support and services is implemented
- Ensure that existing and potential new members key drivers, organisation and current plans are known, understood and shared within the wider GUH organisation
- Provide data gleaned from existing, new and prospective members to support business cases and initiatives
- Work closely with the local management and teams in the regional office locations to deliver on the organisations regional business development objectives.
- Work closely with the Communications team to ensure timely, accurate and informed communications, member engagement and media management activities are maintained and delivered at all times.
- Work closely with the Commercial team, Relationship Managers and sector specialists in order to ensure that organisational strategies are aligned, and provide relevant data input from market intelligence gained via membership as appropriate
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant experience in an operations, marketing or business-related discipline or equivalent demonstrable business development prior experience
- Strategic and operational experience within relationship management and business development
- Demonstrable relevant experience in a similar role / environment
- Knowledge and experience of underwater business environments desirable but not essential
- Has proven ability to interact and develop respect with a broad range of stakeholders and cross sector senior level management
- Ability to act as the main relationship management contact for the GUH membership
- Coordinate and deliver membership relationship management activities across the GUH organisation
- Ability to establish and implement GUH business development and relationship management plan for existing and potential new member organisations across the underwater sector
- Ability to represent and build relations at trade fairs and GUH customer events.
- Shaping and safeguarding of the GUH internal relationship management / BD agenda
- Can demonstrate a track record of successful project delivery, on time and budget
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time
- Willing and able to travel within the UK and internationally as required
- Personal computer proficiency, Microsoft Office 365 skills essential
- Has proven ability to interact and develop respect with a wide range of diverse stakeholders and senior level management across the underwater sector
- Has the proven ability to facilitate and support collaboration with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Is strategically aware but action orientatedIs a proven self-starter, capable of working under own direction
- Commands respect from peers and demonstrates the ability to lead, motivate and develop diverse staff
- High level of integrity and discretion in dealing with sensitive information
- A keen attention to detail
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send a CV and covering letter to Angus Brechin, HR Manager, Global Underwater Hub angus.brechin@theGUH.co.uk
If you have any requirements or adjustments that you may need assistance with throughout the application process, please contact Angus Brechin or call 01224 506600.